I’m Paulette Caletti, creator of The Cake Maker movie. I’ve worked in production since 2001 and during that time freelanced with Callbox Diary for five years.
Having recently been a speaker at Underwire Freelancing 101, I came away thinking I should have given better tips. So here are my rapid fire top ten tips. Some of this may seem very obvious but it’s worth repeating.
- Knock on doors – it’s great to be able to put a face to a CV, so pop in and introduce yourself.
- Prompt invoicing – equals prompt pay. Production staff are also freelancers so may only be around one week after the job.
- Make good tea – you can tell a lot about someone by how they make tea.
- Don’t be late – nothing worse than being late to a shoot.
- Relax – when you’re sharing a small office space, you become very aware of any tension.
- Be professional – always arrive ready to work.
- Be nice – happy, helpful, keen people always wanted.
- It’s fine to say no – you don’t have to take every job you’re offered.
- E-mail confirmation – proof of the job and pay.
- Have fun! – it’s great being your own boss so enjoy the freedom.
We can’t be all things every day, so if you have a bad day remember there’s always tomorrow.
Underwire Festival Programme Launch – 30th September 2015 7pm